A good show ensemble is an absolute must for every rider, particularly those who plan to compete often. While some styles of show attire go in and out of show ring fashion, Tailored Sportsman produces a line that is timeless- both in design and durability. While Tailored Sportsman is most well known for their breeches, the brand also produces elegant show shirts and competition coats to complete your horse show look. Continue reading
Horseback riding requires a lot of tack and associated items like helmets, boots and extra clothing for yourself. You may not always be able to leave everything you need at your barn, but a variety of bags specifically designed for aiding in the storage and transport of your tack and accessories are available to solve the problem. You’ll find barn bags are available in many fashionable styles, with some even offering custom options to match them to your barn colors. Whether you’re going straight to the barn from work and need a change of clothes, have nowhere climate controlled to store your helmet at the stable, or are heading off to compete at a horse show, a barn bag exists to hold whatever you need to take with you. Continue reading
Among all the preparations that go into getting ready for a show, cleaning up your horse is a big item to check off the list. It’s important to look your best when you enter the ring, regardless of your discipline, and the appearance of your horse is a major part of the overall picture. Your horse’s tail should appear long, thick and neat, with mane pulled, combed or braided. Overall coat condition should be rich and sheen from a habit of healthy grooming, exercise and nutrition, along with high quality grooming products. Luckily, a new company, Ponytail, has launched a high-end grooming collection of shampoos, conditioners, and other helpful items to get your horse’s coat to shimmer and make your horse show prep easier.
Riding boots are somewhat unique in the footwear world. They must blend practicality for use while riding and working around the barn, with style for wearing with pride. Dublin boots do this perfectly, supplying barn-durable boots in a wide variety of popular styles and fashions. Dublin boots are designed to give you high performance and comfort in a stylish boot that you can wear all day, whether you are at the barn or out around town.
While traditionally riding boots have been made exclusively of leather and wood, Dublin boots are made with top quality leather augmented by high-tech rubber and composite materials to give you both better functionality and a classic look. Dublin riding boots are made of the finest materials available today, and while a good pair of riding boots is not inexpensive, a pair of Dublin boots is sure to give you many years of service. Designed to give you the ideal balance between fashion and performance, Dublin boots will hold up to whatever nature throws at them. Their rubber and composite soles are designed to give you a secure grip both in stirrups and on all surfaces in any weather.
The Dublin Renegade Boots are a great example of what the brand has to offer. They feature both a lace front and side zipper to be adjustable, yet easy to put on and take off. The breathable mesh lining ensures that your feet stay dry and cool all day, while the steel shank and comfortable foam insole give you unparalleled support while cushioning your feet. Finally, these boots are made of beautiful distressed leather, making each pair a unique work of art.
For cold weather riding next winter, the Dublin Eskimo River Boots are designed to keep your feet warm and comfortable in any weather. The waterproof treated Redskin leather keeps your feet dry, and the rubber sole helps you keep your feet firmly planted on any surface, even in wet or muddy conditions. The drawstring closure keeps your pants securely in your boots to help keep water and snow out as you work with your horses. In the warmer months, the Dublin RCS Tall River Boot is a popular choice. Featuring redskin leather, a Tough Tech sole, and a breathable construction, Dublin River Boots are as comfortable as they are versatile.
In addition to these models, Dublin has many other styles of boots to fit any need. From rugged working boots that will get you around the barn, to sleek boots that are suitable for any social situation, Dublin boots are ready to stand up to anything you are.
Protective helmets are not merely a fashionable accessory while mounted, their use on show grounds is mandated by the U.S.E.F. and the F.E.I . When riding a horse, there is always a chance of a fall for any multitude of reasons, and afterwards there is a lot to think about. Are you ok? Is your horse? Why did the fall happen? Could it have been avoided? What exercises can you work on to lower the chances of a fall again? The last thing you want to be thinking about is, “how can I afford a new helmet to replace this one?”
Helmet manufactures understand this concern and are sympathetic. They also accurately believe and try to enforce that you should never ride again in a helmet that sustained a crash. For this reason, they all have wonderful crash replacement policies to allow you to get a replacement helmet a fraction of the cost in the event of a fall where your helmet is impacted. Generally you will need to send your original receipt, an accident report form or letter explaining the incident, as well as the crashed helmet, but make sure you follow the specifics for each manufacture. We’ve helped to outline differences in helmet ages and contact information for some of our manufactures below, so you know where to start if you find yourself on the ground and needing a replacement.
Let Dover Help You
GPA and Charles Owen helmet crash replacements can be done through Dover if you purchased your helmet with us. Just give us a call or come into one of our stores.
- GPA: Helmet must be purchased within the last year.
- Charles Owen: Helmet must be purchased within the last 3 years, with age of helmet determining discount on the replacement.
- Uvex: Helmet must be purchased within the last 3 years, with age of helmet determining discount on the replacement.
Contact Manufactures Directly
- Troxel: Helmet must be purchased within the last 2 years. Either product registration must have been completed or a sales receipt is needed. http://www.troxelhelmets.com/service/replacement
- IRH: Helmet must be purchased within the last 3 years. 800-435-6380 http://irhhelmets.com/accident_replacements.php
- Tipperary: Helmet must be purchased within the last year, and the warranty registration card must have been completed within 30 days of purchase. 888-313-8842 http://phoenixperformance.com/tipperary/accident-replacement-policy/
- Ovation: Helmet must be purchased within the last 3 years. 866-569-1600 http://www.englishridingsupply.com/design/mini-sites/ovationriding.com/helmets/
- One K: Helmet must be purchased within the last 3 years. 866-569-1600 x215 http://onekhelmets.com/replacement-policy/
- Samshield: Helmet must be purchased within the last 4 years.
Do you have a “barn section” of your closet? Many of us do. The clothes you don’t mind getting a little dirty, the ones meant to wear around the barn for ventilation and protection, and certainly not to be mixed with your good daily wear clothes. But what if you didn’t have to separate fashion and function? Goode Rider offers you just that.
Started by two women who were tired of wearing horse-riding clothes that gave no attention to style, Goode Rider focuses on providing clothing that can make the transition from a day spent in the saddle to an evening around town, without sacrificing comfort and functionality. They offer clothing in current fashions with practical features, including four-way stretch material and stain resistance, which we know is necessary at the barn. These exemplary products from the Goode Rider line are a few of our favorites:
- Pro Breeches: Goode Rider’s breeches come in a variety of styles designed for women who value style. At first glance, these Goode Rider breeches may look like they are purely for fashion, but you may be surprised when you feel just how comfortable they are, and see how well they hold up to the demands of riding. The microfiber stretch material quickly recovers from whatever abuse you throw at it, keeping you looking great at all times. The low-rise waist flatters your figure, while the reinforced knee patches and Velcro ankle closures make them useful in the saddle.
- Elite Shirt: This particular shirt has many of us struggling with whether to wear it to the office or the barn. Looks like a post-work outfit change can be avoided! It is suitable for formal or casual wear, indoors and out, and comes in unique patterns and colors. Sleeve tabs mean that you can wear the sleeves rolled or not, for whichever look you prefer. It’s also made of lightweight cotton with knit stretch panels at the sides for unrestricted movement and to keep you cool in warmer weather.
- Regal Dressage Show Coat: As far as the show ring
goes, it’s always important to sport your best equine fashion. For dressage, this means a classic, long-sleeve, black show coat, which unfortunately is not always practical. This coat is both stylish and comfortable to wear, with a soft outer shell that moves and breathes with you to keep you cool, no matter what your competition might be doing. The traditional four-button front styling gives you the classic look that the judges expect. No one will realize you are wearing a piece of high-tech clothing with the benefits that modern fabrics provide.
These are just a few of the well designed clothes the Goode Rider brand has to offer. Browse the entire collection of Goode Rider show shirts, breeches, and tops for men and women and you surely won’t be disappointed. No one combines fashion and function quite like Goode Rider does.
Riding a dressage test successfully involves countless hours of practice with your horse as well as a lot of other prep work to get ready for your big moment. Once you are done packing all your riding essentials, you might want to consider a few finishing touches to personalize your look to your taste. You can also improve your riding experience by bringing the right accessories with you to the competition.
The next time you head out to compete, remember to pack these easy-to-forget items:
- Copies of your dressage tests: It’s easy to get nervous just before you go into the ring and feel like you are forgetting your test. If you remember to bring copies of your dressage tests, you can look over the tests at the last minute, or have someone read the test aloud during your performance. Try out the Whinny Widgets Pocket Test Books for convenient pocket-sized, bound and laminated copies of your tests.
- Hairnets: Your hair must be neat on the day of a show, and except for young riders who can wear braids or ponytails, this usually means you need a hairnet. Hairnets come in an assortment of colors to blend in naturally with your hair color.
- Stock tie pin: Available in a wide array of styles and fabrics, stock ties are part of the typical dressage attire, worn around the neck of a rider during an event. But don’t forget to purchase a stock pin for your stock tie, too. Also, if you opt for the traditional stock tie instead of a pre-tied one, practice tying the knot several times before the day of your show.
- Safety pins: Safety pins can serve many purposes on the day of a show. You can use them, for example, to secure the loose ends of your stock tie to your competition shirt so they don’t flap out while you’re riding. Keep a few in your pack to be prepared for anything.
- Conservative stud earrings: It’s fine to wear earrings with in the dressage arena, as long as they are conservative and tasteful rather than flashy or gaudy. In general, this means to stick with gold, silver or pearl studs.
- Belt: If you’ll be wearing breeches with belt loops, pair them with a belt. A belt adds to the polished appearance of your dressage outfit and can really complete your look.
- Rain gear: You never know what the weather will be like the day of a show, so a clear raincoat and a waterproof helmet cover are essential accessories to bring. If the weather is wet and rainy, you’ll have excellent, budget-friendly protection on hand.
The Ice Horse™ Brand
For over 15 years, Ice Horse™ has lead the way in designing Equine Cold Therapy products. Made in the USA, their innovative wraps, boots, and cooling machines have defined product standards and garnered international acclaim from vets and riders alike. Ice Horse™ is dedicated to creating products designed to prevent injury and speed recovery for equine athletes. The multi-disciplinary team of Ice Horse™ sponsored riders includes some of the best competitors the sport has to offer.
The Basics of Equine Cold Therapy
When your horse experiences a leg injury, the affected area will usually swell and feel hot to the touch. These symptoms are indicators of increased blood flow to the site of the injury. Although this is a normal sign of the body’s healing response, swelling and inflammation can exacerbate soft tissue damage and potentially cause further damage. So what do you do?
Cooling down the injured leg will help alleviate pain and reduce swelling and inflammation. This form of treatment is most beneficial and effective within the first 48 hours after an injury occurs. Cold hosing has been (and will remain) a simple and effective way to reduce swelling and draw heat out of an injury. However, the major drawback to this method of equine cold therapy is the amount of time that it takes out of your day. Luckily, there are a lot of products on the market that can help your treatment sessions become more time efficient while remaining equally effective.
Cold therapy can be used as both a treatment and as a tool in preventative maintenance for horses with a past history of muscle, joint, or soft tissue injury.
- Immediately after an injury (within 0-48 hrs.), cold treatment slows the circulation of blood to the area to reduce swelling and protect undamaged tissue
- Apply cold therapy for about 15-20 min. at a time
- Allow at least 30 min. in between treatment sessions
- Cold therapy is most effective when ice and/or cold water are applied with consistent pressure and surface contact
Ice Horse™ Cold Therapy Products
For applying cold to the lower leg, Ice Horse™ has created a couple different options:
- The Ice Horse™ Evendura Wrap is designed to provide extra coverage from below the knee to the pastern and fetlock area. These wraps contain eight reusable FirstIce® inserts that are guaranteed to stay cold for two hours.
- An alternative choice is the Ice Horse™ First+Ice Boots. These boots come with four FirstIce® bags (two for each leg) that are arranged to target the canon bone, splint bone, and flexor tendons, in particular.
- All reusable Ice Horse™ FirstIce® Packs are filled with small ice crystals that allow the bag to stay malleable so it can conform to any body part. Packs can be purchases individually.
Ice Horse™ makes several convenient products for applying cold therapy to hard to reach spots on your horse’s legs and body:
- Instead of cold hosing that hock or stifle, try the Ice Horse™ Hock Wrap and Stifle Wrap. These products are formed specifically to fit their respective areas. The neoprene and FirstIce® packs are held securely in place by velcro straps so that the wrap applies even, cold compression.
- The Ice Horse™ Back Blanket provides an easy cold therapy option for your horse’s back. This product comes with 10 removable FirstIce® packs for flexible treatment options. Use all 10 for maximum cooling coverage from the withers to the sacroiliac joint, or use just a few to target specific problem areas.
- The Ice Horse™ Big Black Boot makes cooling off a horse’s hoof a little less hassle. FirstIce® inserts wrap around the hoof and coronet band to provide uniform coverage. This product comes with three FirstIce® inserts and one polymer shoe. The unique elastic strap configuration keeps the boot secure on your horse’s hoof. Available in either standard (horse) or small (pony).
- The Ice Horse™ Emergency Wrap can be used virtually anywhere on your horse’s body, including the neck, upper leg, and shoulder. The wrap’s anti-migration fabric keeps the pack securely in place. The Ice Horse™ Emergency Wrap comes with two reusable FirstIce® packs.
Please consult your vet, as splits and other conditions can become severe and cause significant lameness if not treated properly.
The advent of spring in the equestrian community has been affirmed! Horses and riders are returning from their winter hideouts in Ocala, Wellington, Aiken and Thermal. Outdoor riding rings across the country are becoming serviceable, and the spring horse shows in Culpepper, Saratoga, and Parker are on the horizon.
With the arrival of spring, barns, paddocks, and horse show grounds will inevitably become ankle deep with mud. Whether you’re a trainer, rider, groom, or spectator, a reliable pair of waterproof muck boots will keep your feet dry and comfortable in any wet or muddy venue.
There are a ton of options to choose from when shopping for a muck boot. After testing some of the boots myself and surveying my fellow horse savvy co-workers, I am able to offer a few thoughts that will help you choose the muck boot that’s right for your feet!
Mudruckers makes quality products while keeping your budget in mind. The unisex Mudruckers Tall Boot is 100% waterproof with a reinforced rubber toe, a stretchy neoprene calf, and Comfort-Flo lining that wicks moisture to keep feet dry and warm. In comparison to its Muck Boot Company equivalent, this boot is equally comfortable and lighter weight with a deeper tread.
Conclusion: The Mudruckers Tall Boot is an excellent value.
Muck Boot Company
The Original Muck Boot Company is renowned for its durable, high quality performance footwear. The distinctive design and tailored cut of the new Reign Tall makes this boot both functional and flattering. Like the Tack Classic, The Reign is highly durable and 100% waterproof. However, this particular model is unique (and awesome!) because it has been designed specifically for a woman’s foot. For those who prefer a muck boot without the clunky feel, the Reign Tall is definitely the way to go. The XPressCool interior lining truly makes this boot more breathable than other models (I took them for a test drive). As an added bonus, these boots are suitable to ride in; the toe, heel (complete with spur rest), and tread have been designed to fit safely and appropriately into a stirrup.The four-way stretch neoprene calf will comfortably accommodate jeans, riding tights, or breeches.
Conclusion: For women, the Reign Tall is the lowest profile and most comfortable boot made by Muck Boot Company.
The Noble Outfitters Muds Tall Boot is a new muck boot also designed specifically for women. This boot offers a superior comfortable footbed (with arch support), as well as the best tread for slippery conditions. The upper is made from industrial grade rubber and features a reinforced toe and heel, making these boots both durable and protective. The neoprene calf is lined with ultra breathable and moisture wicking mesh to help you stay cool.
Conclusion: The Muds Tall Boot is a comfortable, well made muck boot for women at a reasonable price.
We’d love to hear from you! What’s your favorite pair of muck boots?
For nearly 25 years, Ariat boots, riding apparel and accessories have been favorites of English riders. Ariat riding breeches are some of the most popular products with Dover customers, yet there’s so much to the Ariat brand. Here are a few of our favorite Ariat items.
Ariat Terrain H20 Boots
These boots are suitable for all types of terrain and all types of weather. You can go straight from working in the barn to riding in any weather without changing footwear, which makes these Ariat boots perfect for this time of year.
The Terrain H20 boots feature full-grain leather uppers and a removable moisture-wicking footbed designed to keep you comfortable in all conditions. The supportive midsole and durable tread offer plenty of traction while in no way compromising style. If you are looking for a high-performance boot that will keep you feeling great through a long day of working and riding, the Terrain H20 from Ariat is the boot.
Ariat Olympia Euro Seat Knee Patch Breech
These classic Ariat riding breeches feature advanced technology. They are made of a unique nylon fabric with a soft cotton lining, meaning that they are breathable but still durable and stain resistant. The four-way stretch fabric ensures that these breeches will give riders of every shape and size the flattering fit they are looking for.
Ariat Tek Grip Riding Gloves
Even with the enormous range of high-end gear available to today’s horse rider, sometimes the simplest things are still the best. These Ariat riding gloves are a perfect example. Ariat’s Tek Grip gloves feature a palm and fingers made of synthetic suede to give you excellent grip, while the back is made of a durable stretch material. A simple Velcro closure adds an extra bit of practicality. These gloves offer everything you need, with no unnecessary extras.
Your Turn: Tell Us Your Favorite Ariat Items
We love Ariat riding apparel, and Dover customers are big fans of Ariat, too. What’s your favorite piece of Ariat gear?