Although a riding helmet can make a fashion statement reflective of your personal style, it’s far from a simple accessory. Use of a protective helmet is always wise for riding, and in fact is mandated by the U.S.E.F. and the F.E.I. for mounted riders on show grounds. Some horse handlers even choose to wear a helmet for lungeing or while working with young or fractious horses on the ground as an added precaution.
A fall can happen by any rider from any horse at any time. When it does, the rider is checked out, the horse is checked out and plans to avoid a similar occurrence in the future are usually made. The next step should always be to replace the crash helmet even if it appears to be intact. The protective materials inside the helmet, which have performed their job successfully once, can be severely compromised and unable to work properly in the future.
Often, riders want to avoid replacing a helmet because of the cost. Helmet manufactures are sympathetic to this concern. They actively try to enforce that you should never ride again in a helmet that sustained a crash, and to this end, all offer wonderful crash replacement policies. These crash helmet policies allow you to get a replacement helmet a fraction of the cost in the event of a fall where your helmet is impacted. Generally, you will need to send your original receipt, an accident report form or letter explaining the incident and the crashed helmet, but make sure you follow the specifics for each manufacturer.
We’ve outlined differences in helmet ages and contact information for some of our manufacturers below, so you know where to start if you find yourself needing a replacement. But first and foremost, whenever you purchase a riding helmet, save your receipt and any manufacturer’s tags or documentation that accompanies it!
Let Dover Saddlery Help You
GPA, Charles Owen and Uvex helmet crash replacements can be done through Dover Saddlery if you purchased your helmet with us. Just give us a call or come into one of our many stores.
- GPA: Helmet must be purchased within the last year.
- Charles Owen: Helmet must be purchased within the last 3 years; the age of helmet determines discount on the replacement.
- Uvex: Helmet must be purchased within the last 3 years; the age of helmet determines discount on the replacement.
Contact Manufactures Directly
- Troxel: Helmet must be purchased within the last 2 years. Either product registration must have been completed or a sales receipt is needed. 800-288-4280
- IRH: Helmet must be purchased within the last 3 years. 800-435-6380 http://irhhelmets.com/accident_replacements.php
- Tipperary: Helmet must be purchased within the last year, and the warranty registration card must have been completed within 30 days of purchase. Refer to the documentation that accompanies your helmet. 888-313-8842
- Ovation: Helmet must be purchased within the last 3 years. 866-569-1600 http://www.englishridingsupply.com/design/mini-sites/ovationriding.com/helmets/helmet-replacement-policy-2015.pdf
- One K: Helmet must be purchased within the last 3 years. 866-569-1600 http://onekhelmets.com/replacement-policy/
- Samshield: Helmet must be purchased within the last 4 years.