The Ice Horse™ Brand
For over 15 years, Ice Horse™ has lead the way in designing Equine Cold Therapy products. Made in the USA, their innovative wraps, boots, and cooling machines have defined product standards and garnered international acclaim from vets and riders alike. Ice Horse™ is dedicated to creating products designed to prevent injury and speed recovery for equine athletes. The multi-disciplinary team of Ice Horse™ sponsored riders includes some of the best competitors the sport has to offer.
The Basics of Equine Cold Therapy
When your horse experiences a leg injury, the affected area will usually swell and feel hot to the touch. These symptoms are indicators of increased blood flow to the site of the injury. Although this is a normal sign of the body’s healing response, swelling and inflammation can exacerbate soft tissue damage and potentially cause further damage. So what do you do?
Cooling down the injured leg will help alleviate pain and reduce swelling and inflammation. This form of treatment is most beneficial and effective within the first 48 hours after an injury occurs. Cold hosing has been (and will remain) a simple and effective way to reduce swelling and draw heat out of an injury. However, the major drawback to this method of equine cold therapy is the amount of time that it takes out of your day. Luckily, there are a lot of products on the market that can help your treatment sessions become more time efficient while remaining equally effective.
Cold therapy can be used as both a treatment and as a tool in preventative maintenance for horses with a past history of muscle, joint, or soft tissue injury.
- Immediately after an injury (within 0-48 hrs.), cold treatment slows the circulation of blood to the area to reduce swelling and protect undamaged tissue
- Apply cold therapy for about 15-20 min. at a time
- Allow at least 30 min. in between treatment sessions
- Cold therapy is most effective when ice and/or cold water are applied with consistent pressure and surface contact
Ice Horse™ Cold Therapy Products
For applying cold to the lower leg, Ice Horse™ has created a couple different options:
- The Ice Horse™ Evendura Wrap is designed to provide extra coverage from below the knee to the pastern and fetlock area. These wraps contain eight reusable FirstIce® inserts that are guaranteed to stay cold for two hours.
- An alternative choice is the Ice Horse™ First+Ice Boots. These boots come with four FirstIce® bags (two for each leg) that are arranged to target the canon bone, splint bone, and flexor tendons, in particular.
- All reusable Ice Horse™ FirstIce® Packs are filled with small ice crystals that allow the bag to stay malleable so it can conform to any body part. Packs can be purchases individually.
Ice Horse™ makes several convenient products for applying cold therapy to hard to reach spots on your horse’s legs and body:
- Instead of cold hosing that hock or stifle, try the Ice Horse™ Hock Wrap and Stifle Wrap. These products are formed specifically to fit their respective areas. The neoprene and FirstIce® packs are held securely in place by velcro straps so that the wrap applies even, cold compression.
- The Ice Horse™ Back Blanket provides an easy cold therapy option for your horse’s back. This product comes with 10 removable FirstIce® packs for flexible treatment options. Use all 10 for maximum cooling coverage from the withers to the sacroiliac joint, or use just a few to target specific problem areas.
- The Ice Horse™ Big Black Boot makes cooling off a horse’s hoof a little less hassle. FirstIce® inserts wrap around the hoof and coronet band to provide uniform coverage. This product comes with three FirstIce® inserts and one polymer shoe. The unique elastic strap configuration keeps the boot secure on your horse’s hoof. Available in either standard (horse) or small (pony).
- The Ice Horse™ Emergency Wrap can be used virtually anywhere on your horse’s body, including the neck, upper leg, and shoulder. The wrap’s anti-migration fabric keeps the pack securely in place. The Ice Horse™ Emergency Wrap comes with two reusable FirstIce® packs.
Please consult your vet, as splits and other conditions can become severe and cause significant lameness if not treated properly.